Wooyoung relates to Jonghyun's depression but claims to have beaten it


Article: 2PM Wooyoung "What happened to Jonghyun is where I was at 5 years ago... but I held on until the end" [Interview]

Source: TV Report via Nate

"I recently heard about what unfortunately happened to Jonghyun. I'm sure he made the decision that he did because he had it much tougher than me. However, I'm very understanding of what he felt, and I'm sure a lot of other celebrities feel the same. I was where he was 5 years ago, but at the time, I wanted to beat it out no matter what. I thought of the 2PM members. It would be just the end for me but I thought it would be selfish of me to just end things so easily like that. I held on thinking that if I'm a man, I need to finish what I started. I found a way to hold on by learning how to draw, scuba diving, and studying music. I depended on older hyungs with more experience. I read and watched documentaries and was able to win through it."

-

1. [+649, -38] Was it necessary to talk about Jonghyun like this..

2. [+452, -37] Mm... I don't think interviews like this are good...

3. [+392, -48] Do you really want to get attention by selling off a dead man like this?

4. [+55, -5] What is he trying to say, that Jonghyun couldn't hold on but he did?

5. [+53, -3] I get what he's trying to say and he's not wrong but he could've phrased it better or not talk about Jonghyun at all. It would've been better if he didn't use words like "selfish" or "like a man"... I'm sure he didn't mean ill with what he said but it can be interpreted negatively. I'm sure fans are upset by this.

6. [+44, -4] Was it really necessary for him to talk about Jonghyun and using words like "selfish" and "like a man"? Every person has a different threshold for pain and different limits as to how much they can handle. This interview sounds a lot like "he didn't win but I did"

7. [+42, -4] I read the title and thought "he's going to get hate"

8. [+42, -6] Wooyoung and Jonghyun are different people with different emotions... he seems to think too highly of himself

9. [+34, -5] I'm trying to interpret what he said positively but I don't get it... what point is he trying to prove? That Jonghyun didn't make it but he did so he's amazing?

10. [+31, -0] He's quite dumb... How can he say that he held on because he didn't want to be selfish. Does he mean that Jonghyun was selfish for choosing what he did then? If he has a brain, he should've used it to think before he spoke, especially since it's involving someone who passed.

11. [+26, -1] Yes, you should fight to live, but people have different ways of holding on and no one knows what he was feeling on the inside. It feels wrong for him to put Jonghyun down to make his own accomplishment seem bigger. I know he didn't mean that but that's how I interpreted it..

12. [+25, -1] ;;;;;;;;;;; This is past the point of disrespectful

13. [+24, -4] So what're you trying to say, that Jonghyun didn't win but you did?

14. [+24, -0] This is the worst

15. [+24, -1] You don't really have a right to judge the depth of another's pain...

-

Source: Naver

1. [+265, -31] What he's saying makes it sound like Jonghyun didn't think of all these ways to "hold on". He's already had a tough life, please just leave him alone ㅠㅠ not mentioning him like this is helping him

2. [+248, -29] What's he trying to say... that he held on despite how hard it was but Jonghyun didn't?... What an unfortunate interview

3. [+150, -11] Depression is not something that can be easily beat by those things. It's a disease that you have to treat with consistent medication. Everyone has a different vulnerability to it. It's a disease of the mind that leads to a high rate of suicide.

4. [+154, -27] Disrespectful

5. [+73, -6] I'm sure he meant to encourage others going through the same thing to hold on and act as a good example for them but it can also be interpreted to sound like "I made it but Jonghyun didn't". Either the journalist made some edits or Wooyoung didn't explain himself clearly enough. As sensitive as this issue is, I think he should've been more careful.

6. [+65, -9] What Jonghyun suffered from was not something that "holding on" could solve. He wasn't a selfish person for not thinking of others before himself. I'm grateful that Wooyoung's trying to relate and all but this interview is unfortunate. Please let Jonghyun rest in peace. He should've just kept it at "he worked hard and he was grateful for it"....

7. [+66, -12] Wooyoung, you have no idea the other hardships that Jonghyun faced. No one knew, and no one tried to know. As Jonghyun's fan, articles like this is so upsetting. It's funny to me that Wooyoung said he "held on because he's a man"... what does gender matter when you're going through hardship?

8. [+56, -8] What he said is actually ridiculing Jonghyun's death. Jonghyun's depression was something that required clinical treatment. Just because he chose to commit suicide doesn't mean that he was selfish or betrayed anyone or that he was weak or that he couldn't "beat it out". A suicide caused by depression simply means that he couldn't beat the disease. He felt that death was more worth it to him than suffering life through this disease. He was not killed by anyone, he chose it for himself. He did not do it because he was less of a man than anyone or because he was trying to escape reality.

-